I love breakfast and brunch so very much and my favorite is eggs Benedict which is definitely not a clean choice (then again most brunch items are pretty sweet and fattening and oh so good!). I decided to create a healthier option: poached eggs on top of a roasted green heirloom tomatoes
Using poached eggs means you won’t need any oil to fry eggs and using a tomato cuts the carb of the English muffin. I will add steamed spinach next time and if your looking for a treat avocado would be amazing on top!
1 large herloom tomatoe
2 teaspoons white vinegar
Garlic (I used elephant)
- Combine water and vinegar in a small pot and fire up the oven to 450
- As you wait for the water to boil, slice the tomatoes to be about 1/4 inch thick. Slice garlic into thin slices.
- Place the tomatoes on a pan lined with foil and top with fresh ground pepper and sliced garlic
- Place tomatoes in oven and keep an eye on them
- Crack the egg into a small Tupperware dish so it makes it easier to drop into the water
- Use the handle of a spatula or spoon to quickly stir the water in one direction until it’s smoothly spinning around. Carefully drop the egg in the middle of the whirlpool
- Turn off the heat and set your timer for 5 minutes. Do not touch!
- Pull your tomatoes out of the oven
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on top your tomatoe and top with pepper and any other toppings you would like!
Let me know if you have any other healthy breakfast or brunch ideas to try!