I love the cheesy carb-loaded goodness of my Italian family roots just as much as the next person BUT my waistline, not so much!
I have substituted zucchini noodles previously when I made an enchilada style dish and it was absolutely amazing so I decided to try it with a lasagna dish!
Although I am I’m not sure what my grandpa would think about me subbing zucchini for noodles but for me it was absolutely delicious! I was worried about the dish being too soggy because there is a lot of moisture in the zucchini but I didn’t have any issues.
Traditionally I like to make my family recipe tomato sauce but I’m trying to make these recipes short and easy!
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- 3 large zucchini
- 1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 20 oz ricotta cheese
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 pack of Meats2u House Seasoned Chicken*
- Pink Himalayan salt
- 2 Tbs Fresh Basil
- Olive oil cooking spray
*Pre-cook your defrosted Meats2u Chicken in a crockpot for about 2.5-3 hours, drain, and shred with an electric mixer
You will also need a 9×13 baking dish and a Y peeler
1. In a mixing bowl combine ricotta cheese and egg with fresh basil, 1/4 tsp oregano, and pinch/salt pepper. Refrigerate until ready to assemble
2. Using a Y peeler make thick noodle like strips with your zucchini, set aside.
3. Lightly grease your deep 9 x 13 pan and preheat your oven to 375°
4. To assemble have your chicken, Baby spinach, cheese mix, and sauce ready to go. Starting with the zucchini noodles line them along the bottom of the pan (2 Columns lengthwise seems to work best). Then top with ricotta cheese and spoon the pasta sauce over the top. Add your shredded chicken and top with baby spinach. Repeat one more time.
5. Your final layer should be a layer of zucchini topped with a bit of pasta sauce and sprinkled lightly with the mozzarella cheese. You can add the shredded cheese to each layer but I am trying to keep this low fat! Who doesn’t love cheese though?
6. Top with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown. Serve warm!
Try Meats2u using code VIPKELSEY on your next order!