Typically when I go to the Cryospot, its to cool down in the whole body Cryotherapy chamber but now they added a couple Infrared Saunas to their already amazing line up of recovery options. Now, if you know me then you are aware that I am not a fan and quite frankly a whimp when it comes to heat tolerance. When the owner Vic told me about the benefit’s of the sauna I agreed to give it a shot. After all, I am always excited to try out new things anyways.
So what is so special about this sauna? Well it uses a combination of chromatherapy lights and infrared heat. Chromotherapy is the science of using colors to adjust the body’s vibrations to frequencies that result in heath and harmony. This sauna has 12 colored light options that each poses frequencies of a specific vibration. Each vibration is related to different physical symptoms. You can have the lights cycle through all the colors or select a specific color with the remote from within the sauna. An infrared sauna feels milder than a traditional sauna therefore you are able to stay in the sauna for a longer session of 40 min. The infrared sauna’s heat ability to warm at a cellular level allows for a much more beneficial sweat sesh.
Benefits also include:
- 7X more detoxification than normal sweating
- Aids in weight loss, burning as many calories as a 2 mile run (ummm #yasss )
- Proven skin purification relieving acne eczema, psoriasis, burns, lesions, and cuts
- The soothing therapeutic heat promotes relaxation & stress relief
- Aids in pain management, relieving sore muscles/joints, and healing soft tissue and muscle injuries.
- Helps lower high blood pressure over time maintaining heart health
Each of the saunas are located in a private room where you can lock the door for peace of mind because you are not going to want to wear any clothing. I chose to go in my sports bra and panties because I was documenting the experience but they were drenched by the time I was done. If you are going to wear any type of clothing inside I would highly recommend bringing a plastic bag to put damp clothes in and a change of clothes. They provide clean towels, a clean bath mat inside the sauna, and a TV. You can also play music over the speakers from your phone but the Netflix, Cable, and Hulu keep me preoccupied! Your session can be anywhere form 30-40 min depending on your tolerance.
Overview of process
- Drink at least 20oz of water
- Eat a light snack 30-60 min prior
- The infrared heat will warm up your core temperature 2-3 degrees, which causes a array of health benefit’s
- You are able to adjust the heat/lights to your choosing
- I always bring a water bottle in there with me
- TRY TO RELAX
- Refresh with a towel
Overall I did really well with the heat and managed to relax (and take and embarrassing amount of selfies) but the last 10 min was when I started pouring out sweat! One of the things a love about the Cryospot is their cleanliness and when it comes to saunas this is so key! I have been traumatized by the ones at the gym but Cryospot has restored my faith. The glass was doors were spotless and the wood in the sauna was well kept and overall the unit felt clean to be in.